Where to Get Diesel Auto Service in Chicago
- December 14, 2022
- Auto Service
- Posted by Luis Avila
- Comments Off on Where to Get Diesel Auto Service in Chicago
Diesel vehicles have become increasingly popular in recent years, due in part to their higher fuel efficiency. However, diesel engines require special servicing that not every mechanic is qualified to provide. In order to ensure that your diesel vehicle receives the care it needs, it is important to take it to a mechanic who has experience with this type of engine. A qualified diesel mechanic will be able to perform the necessary maintenance & repairs, and will also be familiar with the common issues that can affect these vehicles. By taking your diesel vehicle to a qualified mechanic, you can help to ensure that it remains in good condition and continues to run smoothly.
How Diesel Engines Work
Diesel and gasoline engines both convert chemical energy into mechanical energy, but they do so in different ways. Gasoline engines use a spark plug to ignite a mixture of fuel and air, whereas diesel engines rely on compression to heat the air before injecting fuel. This difference in ignition method leads to several other distinctions between the two types of engines. For example, diesel engine cylinders can withstand higher temperatures and pressures than gasoline engine cylinders. As a result, diesel engines tend to be more efficient than gasoline engines, although they are also usually heavier and more expensive.
Diesel fuel also has a higher energy density than gasoline, meaning that a given volume of diesel can produce more power than an equivalent volume of gasoline. Ultimately, whether a gasoline or diesel engine is better suited to a particular vehicle depends on a variety of factors, including intended use and desired performance characteristics.
Common Diesel Engine Problems
Diesel engines are known for their strength and durability, but like all engines, they are susceptible to a variety of problems.
- One common issue is oil leaks. A small oil leak might not seem like a big deal, but it can quickly lead to engine damage.
- Another common problem is fuel injector Fuel injectors atomize the fuel, delivering it directly to the combustion chamber. If they fail, the engine will run lean, causing a loss of power and reduced fuel economy.
- Another issue that can affect diesel engines is soot build-up. Soot is a by-product of combustion, and it can eventually clog the filter in the exhaust system. If left unchecked, soot build-up can cause serious engine damage.
- Something else to watch out for is leaking injector seals, which can lead to a loss of power and decreased fuel economy.
- Perhaps the most serious concern is a cracked cylinder head, which can cause the engine to overheat and eventually seize up.
Fortunately, there are a number of steps that owners can take to prevent these problems. Regular maintenance, for example, can help to keep engines running smoothly and prevent soot build-up. By understanding the most common diesel car engine problems, owners can take steps to avoid them.
Diesel Engine Maintenance
Diesel car engines are different from gasoline car engines and require different maintenance. Diesel car engines have glow plugs instead of spark plugs. These glow plugs heat up the air in the combustion chamber so that when the diesel fuel is injected, it ignites. Diesel car engines also have a higher compression ratio than gasoline car engines which means they compress the air more before injecting the diesel fuel. This higher compression makes diesel car engines more efficient but can also lead to more wear and tear. As a result, it is important to pay attention to the maintenance schedule for your diesel car engine. Change the oil more frequently, check the glow plugs regularly, and be sure to use a good quality diesel oil. By following these simple steps, you can help ensure that your diesel car engine runs smoothly for years to come.
Come to Andres Auto Service for Diesel Auto Service
Whether you need repairs or general maintenance, if you live in Chicago, IL, Andres Auto Service is here to help with your diesel auto service needs. Our skilled service technicians are well-versed in handling diesel engines, so you can rest assured your vehicle is in good hands here. Call or stop by today to get started!