Can You Drive Your Mercedes-Benz with the Check Engine Light On?
- July 3, 2022
- Mercedes Benz Repair
- Posted by Luis Avila
- Comments Off on Can You Drive Your Mercedes-Benz with the Check Engine Light On?
The engine is the powerhouse of your Mercedes-Benz and usually requires service after an extended period of use. When there is an issue with the engine, the driver may see the check engine notification on the dashboard, which alerts the driver that service is required.
Although the warning indicator could have resulted from a minor issue such as a faulty gas cap, it could also be from a severe problem. If left unattended, this could result in total engine damage.
The question most drivers often have is whether they can still drive the vehicle with the check engine light beaming. Keep reading as we discuss the causes of the illuminated check engine light and answer your question as to whether you can drive with the check engine light on.
The Most Common Causes of the Check-Engine Light
The check engine light is crucial for your Mercedes-Benz on-board diagnostic system and usually comes on when there is an issue with the vehicle. The following are the possible causes why the check engine light is illuminated:
- Engine failure: An issue with the engine is the foremost factor that could trigger the check engine warning. Whenever the engine notices that something is off with the engine, the ECU notifies the driver of the development. Engine failure poses a major problem to every car owner. Most times, repairing or replacing your engine can cost an arm and leg.
- Gas cap: This is usually a minor issue and is often indicated by a strong light instead of a flashing light which indicates a more severe problem. Thus, a loose, missing or damaged gas cap may trigger the light. The gas cap seals the evaporative emissions system, which helps keep gasoline vapors from escaping into the air. While this doesn’t pose a significant problem as the gas cap may only require a replacement or snugly fitted.
- Bad catalytic converter: The function of the catalytic converter is to filter harmful compounds from an engine’s emissions into less harmful products before they are released through the exhaust pipe. However, sensors are carefully placed to monitor the activities of the catalytic converter. If something goes wrong, trouble codes will be sent, which will trigger the illumination of the check engine light. Moreover, failure to replace or rectify the issue may result in reduced car performance and fuel efficiency or could ultimately lead to total engine breakdown.
- Failed oxygen sensors: This is one of the most common factors that trigger a check-engine light. Oxygen sensors measure how much-unburned air exists in the combustion process to regulate how much air is brought into the engine for combustion. However, damage to one of these sensors would cause rough engine idle or misfire, triggering the check engine light.
- Other Factors: Other factors, including a faulty mass air flow sensor, bad intake tract, or faulty spark plugs may trigger the illumination of the check-engine light.
Flashing vs. Steady Check Engine Light
It is important to note that an illuminated check engine light often connotes that your automobile’s computerized management system has detected a possible fault. Oftentimes, this may indicate a possible serious problem that may detrimentally affect your car engine’s internal component if ignored.
Although it may not always mean a serious issue, the constant flashing of your check-engine light indicates a serious problem with your engine. Most times, this results in reduced car performance or total engine damage. Thus, if you notice this, bright your Mercedes-Benz model in right away or have it towed in. The services of a well-trained and experienced mechanic must be sought immediately to save your engine from further catastrophic damage.
Andre’s Auto Service for All Your Mercedes Benz Needs
If you are in search of certified Mercedes mechanics for service or if your model is experiencing any of the problems discussed above, look no further! At Automotive Andres, we pride ourselves as the best auto service shop in Chicago and its surrounding communities. Our experienced technicians are equipped with the latest factory grade tools and equipment to offer the best auto repair services on European vehicles.
By using quality parts and master mechanics, we guarantee quality auto services, returning your Mercedes to its top performing condition for your pleasure. Please call or visit us today to book your next service appointment!